Because I live in China, I am forced to look at different options for viewing an unblocked version of the Internet. This means I must use either a proxy or VPN.
I recently discovered gfwVPN and I think this might be my favorite VPN so far. For the past three months I have been using one of the most popular VPNs here in China, Astrill. Astrill is quite good and offers a lot of bells and whistles, the only problem is that it has not been completely reliable for me to connect using Linux.
I have tired various other VPNs and they don't seem to work at all for me. When I tried gfwVPN I was skeptical at first but I decided to pay the 1 cent and try it for an hour (though I think they ended up letting me try it for a day).
I am happy to report that it worked flawlessly in both Windows and Linux. I think when my Astrill account runs out, I will go ahead and sign up for gfwVPN
Pros of gwfVPN:
- Cheap(ish) - Perhaps one of the cheapest VPNs I have seen.
- Easy to set up and works well in China.
- Can use it for an hour just by paying 1 cent.
- 2 online users per account.
- No special software to make it easier to use (not a con for me, but could be for people a bit less tech savvy.
- No apparent live support if you need it (again, not really a con until you actually need it).
1 Month for gwfVPN: $7
1 Month for Astrill: Not available
3 Months for gwfVPN: $21
3 Months for Astrill: $30
6 Months for gwfVPN: $35
6 Months for Astrill: $40
1 Year for gwfVPN: $56
1 Year for Astrill: $70